Thursday, February 28, 2008

My MAC expedition

Oh my goodness. As a treat to myself for feeling pretty confident that I passed my test (I forgot to mention that I got the minimum number of questions. Basically I freaking rocked the NCLEX. I did the BEST that is even possible. And I am VERY proud of that!), I decided to stop by the MAC store on my way home from getting my haircut. By the way, I LOVE my new haircut. Its kinda short, but I am kind of in love with the way it moves. My hair was getting SO LONG and unmanageable. Plus I had horrible split ends. The curse of using a straightening iron all the time. While I love it, it is HORRIBLE for my hair. I never had split ends until I started using it. Lame. I have yet to embrace and love my very very curly hair. Although, my hair has a bunch of layers in it now, so I might be able to pull it off. (I'm obsessed with Jillian Lewis, from Project Runway (I HOPE SHE WINS) and her curly hair is FABULOUS!)

So anyway, I love my hair right now. All adding to the amazing day I am having.

So I had this giftcard to MAC...YAY! AND I had a ton of empty product to bring back. MAC is fab, they have this recycling program, so you bring in 6 empty cases (of anything) and you can get a lipstick, eyeshadow, or lip glass, for FREE. Anything except the Viva Glam collection. Up until yesterday, I only thought you could get the lipstick. It has been a while since I brought stuff in. Probably about 2 years. Back then, it was just lipstick. I was SO EXCITED to have more options. As a MAC Addict, I have a lot of empties. I brought 12 this time. So 2 free things. YAY!

I had so much fun. I swear, buying and playing with makeup is the best therapy for me. Plus I love MAC artists. They are always SO FUN. The woman helping me last night was amazing. She was so cute, there were a bunch of little kids in there last night (different families, I've never seen so many, if ANY kids in there) and she would put a little makeup on them. It was so sweet. I loved playing with makeup as a kid. My mom did a lot of theater and I played with her makeup case all the time. One time I drew on my grandma's wallpaper with mascara. Its still there. Oops. (P.S. I love how oops doesn't come up on the spell check thing on here). Anyway, I think makeup is a fun way to express yourself. It makes me feel good. I don't go crazy with it. But I think its fun. It was that early interest that made me love it so much today, so I just thought it was cool that the little girls were getting a taste of that too. But Madeline, the MAC artist, didn't put too much on them. She would only put on a little bit. Which I thought was awesome. We don't need any more Jon Benet Ramsey cases in this world. Beauty pageants for little kids make me sick. The false teeth, the fake tans, just bad. No kid should have to do that. (Except in the movie, Little Miss Sunshine, because Abigail Breslin is amazing. And I think she should have won an Oscar. Because "Superfreak" is an incredible song. And that dance was amazing. That whole movie was amazing. Best picture of that year in my mind). I might name my daughter Olive after her in that movie. I kind of looked like this as a kid.




Anywho, the MAC store is like my Heaven. I also scored an invite to the Heatherette show in March. This MAC store is one of only 2 stores on the entire west coast that scored this show. I kind of hate Heatherette, but it should be lots of fun! I am excited! Heatherette makes ticky tacky clothes, but I can see them merging with MAC and making some fun makeup to play around with.

I took a look at the new Fafi for MAC collection. It did not excite me. I was kinda like, oh, thats nice. I guess she's a Parisian graffiti artist.

Here's what I scored yesterday: Brush cleaner, concealer (both needed, boring but fabulous), 3 eye shadows (Orb, Samoa Silk, and my new FAVORITE color to use as liner (I use shadow as liner 9/10 times), Embark), a paint pot (Painterly) which might become my new everyday staple, a lipstick (Please Me), and my new very favorite blush in the entire world, Brit Wit.

I am in love with Brit Wit. I am in love with creme blushes. This one is gorgeous. It looks purpley in the container, but it is more pink when on the face. LOVE IT.

All of this, and with my freebies, and my giftcard, I only spent like $36. Thats kind of awesome.

For Christmas, one of my nearest and dearest friends, Drew, gave me the most amazing gift. He always rocks in the present department. Seriously, straight men are never this thoughtful. Last year we saw 'The Devil Wears Prada' together, and when I saw Anne Hathaway (LOVE HER) wearing this outfit



I leaned over to Drew and said something like: I NEED that. And that was in early summer. So come Christmas '06 (I had completely forgotten how much I loved this), what do I get from Drew, oh basically this entire outfit. Minus the hat. I look terrible in hats. I love Drew. Who remembers things like that?

This year, he topped it.

I said, probably about 2 years ago, that I needed something like they have at the MAC counters, a stand for all my eyeshadows. I looked everywhere and could not find one. I gave up, forgot about it, and moved on.

Well Drew had one custom made for me. He has the best memory. Alas, I think I need to get another one, because I have accumulated a lot more shadows since then. Yeah, its February.

I have a problem, but I'm not going to makeup rehab any time soon!

xx,

Nicole

1 comment:

Yngvild said...

I know this post is kinda old, but I had to say this: Abigail Breslin is amazing in little miss sunshine!