Friday, June 6, 2008

Embracing the pale.

I am pale. And I mean PALE. So pale that my legs sometimes look like they are actually GLOWING. And I could care less. I have zero desire to tan. Why pretend that I am something that I am not. I am physically incapable of getting a tan. I burn, turn an unattractive shade of red, peel, and then go back to white. And there is immense pain in the process. I got a sunburn so bad last summer that I had to actually go home from work, in pain, and in tears. 

So when a certain (equally as pale, but with body hair to mask it) friend of mine suggested that we get tanning packages (as all of our other friends can tan, do tan, and have "tanning wars" in the summer), I found it obviously hilarious. 

Reasons I would never even ATTEMPT to get a tan.

1. Skin cancer. I don't want it. Its not worth a tan to possibly die. 
2. Wrinkles. I am blessed with a family that ages WELL. My mom does not look her age. I don't want to screw that up by tanning. No eye cream in the world could fix that. 
3. I don't think I would look particularly attractive with a tan. And I don't usually like my men to be overly tanned. There's something classically beautiful about being pale. 

When people are naturally tan, it IS beautiful. Don't get me wrong. If you happen to be outside doing something and you become tan, great. But to PAY to sit in a bed that is actually worse for you than the sun is crazy. And expensive! 

I rarely even self tan. I guess I'm just happy the way I am. And I think everyone should be happy the way that they are. 

xx, 

Nicole

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Body hair is underrated. It just means being more of a man.

But don't you need your Vitamen D (sun) to curb depression?

Nicole said...

You can get Vitamin D without tanning. Its called sunblock.