Saturday, June 28, 2008

My TiVo KNOWS me too well...

I love my TiVo. That's the understatement of my lifetime. On "I love the new millennium" this week, they of course discussed this beautiful invention and someone said something to the effect of "TiVo will change your life". It totally does. 

So this morning I wake up to a plethora of TiVo suggestions. These are things that my TiVo records for me based on what I choose to watch. Usually, I have to be honest, I delete most of them. Not because the TiVo is wrong, but I've already seen most of the shows and they aren't things that I feel like watching again in that moment. Its really sad because I can't give Sex and the City (a show that I am TOO obsessed with) a thumbs up (that's how you rate how much you like a show) because then it will record them for me all the time. Now, I LOVE SATC. Don't get me wrong. But I own the entire series. On the normal DVDs AND I am an uber geek and I have the complete series in that awesome box set. LOVE. So if I want to watch it, which most of the time I would be up for it, I can just pop in a DVD. The TBS version SUCKS. I mean SUCKS. It is ruined by being aired on basic cable. 

1. They can't swear. It really takes out most of the funny punchlines. 
2. Samantha is barely in it, because she's always doing sexytimes with someone and they can't show that on TV. 
3. They EDIT out CRUICAL parts to have enough time for commercials. The original show was on HBO and had no commercials. It really ruins the flow of the episode. 

So I delete those everytime. 

This morning when I checked it (its like Christmas morning in a way) there were the usual episodes of SATC, Conan, Will and Grace, etc...but there was one other surprise. 

Brokeback Mountain. 

My TiVo knows that I am a gay man inside. I love that movie (But I deleted it because I own it). 
Seriously, its a beautiful love story. I knew it was definitely a movie that could affect many lives when one of my few straight male friends said that HE LIKED IT. I was beyond shocked. 

When that movie came out I was definitely skeptical. But it is so amazing. I BAWL every time I watch it. When I saw it in the theatre there were a bunch of idiots that were making fun of it during the beginning, but by the end everyone in the theatre shut up and you could hear the sniffles. I'm not ashamed to admit that my face was drenched in tears and I looked like a hot mess. I still can't believe that they lost the Academy Award for best picture that year. Crash was an OK movie. I didn't LOVE it. I thought it had a few issues. Brokeback was brave and went where I had never seen a movie go before. A really truthful, touching story. 

It breaks my heart that Heath Ledger is no longer with us. He was an amazing actor, in that movie and otherwise. He wasn't one of your typical Hollywood types, and for that I think he deserves a huge amount of respect. 

The last scene in Brokeback when Heath Ledger is standing in his trailer and he opens that door and the two shirts are hanging there completely chokes me up. In a good way. 

No comments: